Brynhyfryd was one of the most imposing buildings in Ipswich of its time. Although standing for less than 50 years, it made such an impression on the Ipswich community that its rise and fall became part of the city’s folklore.
Built in 1889 as the main family residence of the Hon. Lewis Thomas, his wife Ann and daughter Mary, Brynhyfryd was known locally as “Blackstone Castle”. But by the 1930s the contents and building were put up for public auction and dispersed throughout Ipswich and further afield.
Brynhyfryd:lost castle of Blackstone Hill brings together a collection of objects from Brynhyfryd, including decorative objects, family heirlooms, furniture, and parts of the building retrieved from the demolition. While hundreds of items were sold in the auctions of the 1930s, the small number of objects presented in this exhibition have managed to retain the stories of their links to life at Brynhyfryd.
Please click here to listen to the Brynhyfryd audio documentary, produced especially for the exhibition.
|Dates:||Saturday, 30 May – Sunday, 9 August 2015|
|Times:||10am-5pm daily including open Queen’s Birthday Holiday|
|Age Group:||All ages.|
Image: Brynhyfryd, Image courtesy of Picture Ipswich, Ipswich City Council