Fish scale embroidery panel 1935
Cotton velvet, fish scales and cotton, 43 x 53.1 cm
Ipswich Art Gallery Collection. Acquired with funds donated by the Friends of the Ipswich Art Gallery, 2014
Piggy bank 1935
Wheel-thrown hand-decorated salt-glazed stoneware Ipswich, 10 x 8.3 x 16.3 cm
Ipswich Art Gallery Collection. Acquired with funds donated by Bendigo Bank through the Ipswich Art Gallery Foundation, 2005
Overmantel 1920
Silky Oak, 87.3 x 130.5 x 12.4 cm
Ipswich Art Gallery Collection. Acquired through the Ipswich Art Gallery Foundation, 2013
Secret jewel case 1920
Rose Mahogany inlaid with Queensland ebony, brown bean, medang walnut, yellow cedar, black palm, figured maple, white bean and other native timbers; (secondary) silky oak, 15.2 x 10.4 x 3.6 cm
Ipswich Art Gallery Collection, 2015
Australian wildflower tea service cup & saucer (Waratah design) c.1912
Porcelain and silver, 6 x 10.5 x 8.8 cm
Ipswich Art Gallery Collection. Acquired with funds donated by the Friends of the Ipswich Art Gallery, 2013

Ellis Rowan was a renowned Australian botanical artist. This porcelain tea cup and saucer form part of a rare, complete set acquired by the Ipswich Art Gallery. The acquisition of this hand-painted tea service (c.1912) is a significant addition to the Gallery’s Heritage Collection as tableware sets, featuring designs by Ellis Rowan, are highly sought after by collectors.

Bread plate c.1910
Press-moulded Majolica glazed earthenware, 5.5 x 33.2 x 28.1 cm
Ipswich Art Gallery Collection. Acquired through the Ipswich Art Gallery Foundation, 2008

This rare and unique bread plate by James Gilson is the only known Australian example which features the Lord’s Prayer in a foreign language. The German phrase embossed on the plate translates to ‘Give Us This Day Our Daily Bread’. The plate was produced for the communities of German immigrants living in south-east Queensland – in townships such as Marburg, Fernvale, Kalbar and Fassifern. James Gilson settled at Dinmore, Queensland, in 1884. He established a small pottery in Potters Road which he expanded the following year in partnership with James Rumble. Together they won several awards and Gilson’s reputation for quality glazes became widely known. In 1907, Gilson left the partnership and established ‘Pioneer Pottery’ in Kleinton, north of Toowoomba, where this particular plate was produced. He operated in Kleinton for several years before relocating back to the Ipswich region.

Australian miner’s brooch 1895
15ct gold, 2 x 5.1 x 7 cm
Ipswich Art Gallery Collection. Acquired with funds donated by the Friends of the Ipswich Art Gallery, 2015
Views of Ipswich Queensland 1887
Bound and printed card, 19 x 14.2 x .6 cm
Ipswich Art Gallery Collection. Acquired through the Ipswich Art Gallery Foundation, 2015
Portrait medallion of William Ewart Gladstone 1884
Coal shale, 19 x 17 cm
Ipswich Art Gallery Collection. Acquired through the Ipswich Art Gallery Foundation, 2012
The Peak Mountain, near Ipswich, Queensland 1875
Oil on board, 53.3 x 41.2 cm
Ipswich Art Gallery Collection. Acquired with funds donated by Wingate Properties through the Ipswich Art Gallery Foundation, 2007
Ipswich Art Gallery Facebook
Ipswich Art Gallery Twitter
Ipswich Art Gallery Blog
OPEN 10AM–5PM DAILY
(unless stated otherwise)
d’Arcy Doyle Place, Nicholas Street, Ipswich
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 07 3810 7222