Did you know the Ipswich Art Gallery was the first in Australia to have a permanently dedicated Gallery space for children?
View our exhibitions and events for kids to help decide when you’re going to come and what you’d like to see!
In keeping with our commitment to child-centred programs, the design and development of Children’s Gallery exhibitions and activities is guided by the following philosophical principles:
- Learning begins with creative play.
- Creativity builds self-esteem, a necessary ingredient for success.
- The spontaneous creativity within each child should be celebrated.
- Children learn more in the company of adults they trust i.e. their parents, grandparents, relatives, guardians, friends and teachers.
- Children explore the environment using all of their senses i.e. hands-on activities provide opportunities to explore and learn.
- Every child deserves access to a safe, stimulating and enjoyable learning environment.
- Children’s exhibitions are curated for children – not for adults.
- To understand and appreciate other cultures is to build community harmony.
- Children are important members of our community who should be encouraged to express and develop their ideas and views i.e. children should be seen and heard.
Planning a family visit? Read our tips and make your next Gallery visit one to remember.